Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Children and Motorcycles



Many children grow up in families where motorcycles are a part of life. I can remember my husband taking our boys for rides as soon as they were old enough to walk. This was scary for me as I dont have a great deal of motorcycle riding experience. However, my husband has been on them since he was a toddler so it was just a natural process for him.

Most children love riding on motorcycles, but the issue is very controversial. I am an overprotective mom, so it is hard for me too. However, all of my children love riding on them and I trust my husband to have their best interest in hand all the time. I really hate it when my children are on the highway because I know accidents can happen so quickly. We do make sure they were long sleeved shirts and pants. They also have helmets to wear that fit them properly.

They make motorcycles for children to ride on their own by the time they are four or five years of age. My children all learned how to operate one as soon as they were able to ride a regular bike without training wheels. Of course the motorcycle, called a 50, is very low to the ground and doesnt go very fast. When I look back at it now, I think it was very good practice for them to learn about operating vehicles.

This is not to say that everything went smooth! My oldest son crashed his motorcycle into a fence when he was seven as he lost control. I think me tried to stop but panicked and pushed the gas more. My other son loved to go as fast as he could, so we were hesitant to move him up to a larger bike because with the size came more power. Children should never be left to ride a motorcycle without the proper safety equipment and without parental supervision.

Since children cant legally ride their motorcycle on the street, they have to ride them on dirk trails or motorcycle trails. Make sure the type of motorcycle you purchase for them is designed for such rough terrain. You should also consider purchasing them a helmet that has a full face cover. It is common for children to crash their motorcycle, and hitting their chin or mouth on the handle bars is also common.

If your child is a rider on a motorcycle with another adult, make sure that adult has a license to operate a motorcycle. Smaller children can ride on the front of the motorcycle but they are encouraged to ride on the back. Make sure they always wear a helmet even for a short ride. Children are allowed to ride on a motorcycle on major highways, but this is a personal decision for the parent. I will tell you it is not one I am comfortable with for my own children.

Never allow your children to operate a motorcycle with another child on the bike. This can lead to the child trying to show off and for accidents to happen. It also shifts the weight of the bike when you add an extra person, and the child operating the motorcycle may not be able to handle the extra weight.

While operating or riding on a motorcycle can be dangerous for a child, it can also be a great deal of fun. They will have fond memories of it as well. Parents have a responsibility to keep their children safe while operating a motorcycle. Dont share helmets among your children as they wont fit each of them properly.

Many children enjoy operating a motorcycle, and parents will find that it can help them become more responsible. They also learn valuable skills about operating vehicles and safety at a very early age. Children who wear safety equipment as a child will continue to do so as an adult. They also develop skills to make them safer drivers so that when they are old enough to operate a motorcycle on the street, they have plenty of experience.