Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Family Fun with Mini Dune Buggies



One thing I'm trying to do is find a way for my family to spend more time together outdoors. We have no problem sitting around on the couch playing video games or watching DVDs, but I want us to be more active. Unfortunately, none of us are athletes, so it's not as though we ever want to head outside to toss a football around or shoot some hoops in the driveway. After a recent outing to Glamis to watch my buddies carve up the sand dunes in their off-road vehicles, I thought it would be cool to look into buying a couple of mini dune buggies for my family.

Mini dune buggies are a bit similar to go karts, but they're designed specifically for use on beaches or in the desert. They're available in a variety of styles and sizes, and can get pretty expensive if you start adding a ton of extra options and features. The basic models are relatively affordable, especially if you purchase a used machine. Depending on their condition, used mini dune buggies only cost a couple hundred bucks, which is not a bad way to get into the sport. That's what I'm planning to buy for my family until I'm sure that we'll actually stick with this long enough to warrant a larger investment.

Since mini dune buggies are capable of speeds, it's critical to wear safety equipment prior to strapping in. So when I'm figuring out the budget for this new adventure, I've got to set aside some money for helmets, goggles, and maybe even neck supporters/braces. In addition, I'm going to make a strict rule about the driver and passenger buckling the seat belts before driving off. Mini dune buggies are not toys. They can be dangerous if not handled properly, so I'm definitely going to go out of my way to make safety a primary concern.

Anyway, if it turns out that my family does indeed like the thrill of tearing through sand in mini dune buggies, then we'll look at additional options from there. For instance, maybe we can learn to build our own modified buggy or get in on the racing scene at some point. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself since we haven't even bought one of these vehicles yet, but you never know where a casual hobby might lead!

If you live in an area with unrestricted beaches, sand dunes, trails, or other potential riding spots, then maybe you should check out mini dune buggies as well. They're an affordable way for you and your family to enjoy the fresh air, get some exercise, and experience some thrilling rides. Start with a used vehicle to limit your initial financial expenditure, then work your way up to a new model as needed. That's what I plan to do, and I can't wait to get started!